The “15th Kampala International FICTS Festival” has come to an end, at a colourful Ceremony graced by The General Secretary – National Council of Sports (NCS) – Dr. Bernard Patrick Ogwel.
Entries from Japan, Germany and Uganda out competed the rest to emerge winners. Two out of four Uganda’s Entries merged winners:
- “Joshua Cheptegei – Tourism Promo” produced by Uganda Tourism Board in the Sports Advert Category.
- “Swift Sports Uganda” (Sports Website) managed by Kawuulu Foundation emerged winner of the TV & Weblog Category for the first time.
Sandra Natukunda of UTB and Gombe David of Kawuulu Foundation were awarded Certificates of Merit and Awards by the promoter Dr. Dean Kibirige which were handed to them by the Chief Guest – Dr. Bernard Patrick Ogwel.
Other winning productions included:
- “Refugee Heroes the Road to Tokyo” – which emerged winner in the Olympic Spirit/Games Category. 4. “Against all Odds – From Wheel Chair to Athlete” – which emerged winner in the Sport & Disability Category.
The “5th APL Mentorship Award”, was given to Deogracious Peter Otai, a gentleman who was nurtured by the late Dr. Andrew Patrick Luwandagga during his early days as an upcoming Sports broadcast presenter, and has gone ahead to impress at both local and international level by becoming:
- Head of UBC’s Sports Radio Station – Magic 100 FM.
- Best Football Commentator for East & Central Africa (CECAFA).
- Best Uganda Premier League Commentator 2017.
- Best Commentator Uganda Cup.
Also Uganda Mweso Association (UMwA) was awarded for exhibiting at the Event an Appreciation Award because of the Association’s commitment and efforts in building and developing one of Uganda’s indigenous pebble sports discipline to local and international respectable standards.
In his remarks the Chief Guest – Dr. Bernard Patrick Ogwel saluted FICTS Uganda Organizing Team for maintaining the gesture of recognizing works for Sports producers but also pledged to lobby from Government in order to better the Event. Finally, he congratulated all winners plus participating entries from different parts of the world and encouraged Ugandan Sports Producers to increase their participation in the next year’s Edition.
Among other notables present at the closing ceremony were:
- Mr. Kyagaba Hudson Harrison Musoke – Vice Chairman Uganda Mweso Association (UMwA)
- Mr. Mohammed Juuko – Manager TAL Cottages Hotel